Editor's Note: We receive commissions from affiliate links on Forbes Advisor. Commissions do not affect the opinions or ratings of our editors.
If you need to rent a car, you can take advantage of additional benefits with an Amex Platinum card in your wallet. Upgrading your loyalty status gives you access to additional benefits such as members-only discounts, no second driver fees and the ability to skipCar rentaland ride pickup trucks straight to your vehicle. Additional rental car insurance is available free of charge, basic insurance can be added for a flat fee.
Card Platinum Card® from American Express(Terms and conditions apply, seeTariffs and Fees) IBusiness Platinum Card® der Firma American Express(Terms and conditions apply, seeTariffs and Fees) everyone wearsAnnual fee $695. As luxury credit cards, both options offer an impressive suite of benefits and perks that, when used properly, offer cardholders value beyond the high card fee.
Here is an overview of the car rental benefits associated with Amex Platinum credit cards.
Recommended partner offer
Card Platinum Card® from American Express
Prices and Fees/ The General Terms and Conditions
Forbes Advisor has added additional stars to help you find the best card for your specific needs. This card shines for this purpose, but the overall star rating may vary compared to other cards.
5x reward rate
Earn 5 Membership Rewards points per dollar on prepaid hotels and direct flights booked through American Express TravelContinue reading
Earn 80,000 points
Show payment in APR
Excellent/Good (700 - 749)
The Platinum card is designed for frequent travelers who want to take full advantage of the many luxury travel benefits and Platinum Concierge service. In the right hands, the enormous annual fee for the classic status card is well justified.
For and against
- High reward potential for flights and hotels booked via American Express Travel
- Multiple credits can help justify the fee
- Full airport lounge access
- Luxury travel benefits and elite status with Hilton and Marriott upon enrollment
- Very high annual fee
- Maximizing your bank statements takes some work and may not be feasible for many people
- The premium rate outside of the trip is below the norm of a premium card
- Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $6,000 on card purchases within the first 6 months of card membership.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or American Express Travel, up to $500,000 on those purchases per calendar year, and earn 5X Membership Rewards® points on prepaid hotels booked through American Express Travel can be booked.
- $200 Hotel Credit: Receive $200 in credits back each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings with American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Receive up to $20 in monthly statement credit when you pay for qualifying purchases with your Platinum Card® at one or more of the following providers: Peacock, Audible, SiriusXM, The New York Times and other participating providers. Registration required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of your $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with your statement balance after paying for Walmart+ monthly with your Platinum card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax.
- American Express has expanded the Centurion® network to include more than 40 Centurion lounges and studios around the world. Now there are even more places where you can get free entry and exclusive benefits with the Platinum Card®.
- $200 Airline Credit: Select an eligible airline and receive up to $200 in statement credit each calendar year when the airline charges your card additional fees.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 Uber savings on US trips or meal orders per year. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status are only available to Basic Card members.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $300 back per year on your Equinox+ subscription or any Equinox Club membership when you pay with your Platinum card. Registration required. Learn more.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Pass security with CLEAR® Plus at over 45 airports nationwide and get back up to $189 per year per membership (subject to auto-renewal) when you use your card.
- Annual fee $695.
- The General Terms and Conditions.
Earn 80,000 Membership Rewards® points after spending $6,000 on card purchases within the first 6 months of card membership.
Credit score ranges are based on the FICO® credit score. This is an evaluation method only and your credit card company may use a different method when evaluating your application. They are provided as guidelines only and approval cannot be guaranteed.
Amex Platinum car rental benefits
Both the American Express Platinum Card® and the American Express Business Platinum Card® offer exclusive car rental benefits. As an Amex Platinum cardholder, you'll receive Elite status with several popular rental companies and additional insurance coverage when you rent a vehicle.
Amex Platinum Rental Car Loss and Damage Insurance
Amex Platinum card includedadditional rental car insurance¹ no extra charge. Since this free protection is not basic, you must do thisFile a claim with your auto insurerbefore the Amex rental insurance begins.
Amex Platinum Rental Insurance provides protection against theft or damage to qualifying rental vehicles when you book and pay for your rental with your Amex card. You must also decline any insurance offered by the landlord.
Coverage is not available for certain vehicle types, including vans and vintage or custom-built vehicles. Also exempt are private vehicles rented through a ridesharing or peer-to-peer company.
If you require basic insurance, it is available for an additional fee through Amex's Premium Car Rental Protection. American Express charges a fixed fee for the entire rental period (up to 42 days) rather than per day as is often the case with car rental insurance. Costs range from $12.25 to $24.95 depending on location and coverage. Premium Car Rental Protection does not cover liability insurance.
Amex Platinum rental rates can save you money compared to purchasing insurance from a rental car company. But it's important to remember that some of themBest credit cards for rental car insuranceinclude free basic insurance such asKarte Chase Sapphire Preferred®ICapital One Venture X Rewards Credit Card².
Amex Platinum car rental status
The Amex Platinum card gives you free upgrades at three major car rental companies - Avis, Hertz and National.
You must register with all three rentalstheir loyalty programsto access benefits. You must also meet the program age requirements to participate and rent a vehicle. Here's a closer look at the status you get with each car rental company.
Amex Preferred cardholders can use a code to save up to 25% on Avis car rentals (taxes and fees apply). The discount does not apply to optional upgrades such as refueling andCar Rental Insurance.
Avis Preferred Plus status includes free vehicle upgrades, subject to availability at the time of booking. You can also get a free weekend rental when you make two qualifying Avis rentals. Other Preferred Plus benefits include:
- Expedited direct-to-car service at participating Avis locations
- Earn Avis Rewards on qualifying rentals
- Monthly email offers
Circle of President Hertz
Amex Platinum members receive complimentary Hertz President's Circle status. With status, cardholders can use the code provided when booking to receive a 20% discount on vehicle rental (taxes and fees apply). Other benefits of President's Circle status include:
- 4-hour grace period for loan return
- Guaranteed economy class upgrades on standard rental vehicles
- Free additional driver
- Own customer service hotline
Dyrektor National Car Rental Emerald Club
Your Amex Platinum card automatically grants you Emerald Club executive status with National Car Rental. With driver status, you can rent any full-fledged car or larger and only pay the nationwide average price. Other Emerald Club Executive benefits include:
- Guaranteed vehicle upgrades for full-size vehicles on luxury vehicle rentals
- One day complimentary rental after six qualifying rentals
- Expedited pickup and drop-off service
- Second driver free
- Mutual rewards you earn from qualifying rentals from Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Special offer emails for members only
How to Get Amex Platinum Car Rental Deals
While Amex Platinum cards offer car rental benefits, you must take certain steps to activate these special privileges.
To be eligible for Amexadditional rental car insurance, you must pay the entire rental price using your Amex Platinum card and decline the optional rental insurance
To receive a rental upgrade, you must be a member of an Avis, Hertz or National Car Rental loyalty program or register during the activation process to receive a rental upgrade.
Depending on the rental company, you may be given a special code to use when renting a vehicle for member discounts.
Find the best credit cards for car rental insurance in 2023
In addition to car rental insurance, Amex Platinum cardholders can achieve elite status with major rental companies and enjoy benefits such as vehicle upgrades, exclusive offers and expedited services. By taking full advantage of these benefits, Amex Platinum cardholders can get more out of the high annual card fee while experiencing a more convenient and rewarding car rental process.
To see American Express Platinum Card® rates and fees, please visitthis page.
To see American Express Business Platinum Card® rates and fees, please visitthis page.
¹Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance can cover up to $75,000 in the event of theft or damage to most rental vehicles when you book and pay for all qualifying vehicle rentals with a qualifying card and decline Collision Damage Waiver or a similar option offered by Car Rental. This product provides additional insurance and does not cover third party liability insurance. Not all types of vehicles or rental vehicles are covered. Geographical restrictions apply. Eligibility and benefit levels vary by card. Terms and Conditions and Restrictions apply. Visit americanexpress.com/benefitsguide for more information. Guaranteed by the AMEX Assurance Company. Rental car insurance against loss or damage is offered by American Express Travel related Services Company, Inc.
²For the Capital One products listed on this page, some of the above benefits are provided by Visa® or Mastercard® and may vary by product. Please refer to the applicable Benefits Guide for details of applicable terms and exclusions.